Pupil Needs

We aim to provide a curriculum that supports all children. Included in our numbers are several children with additional support needs. A support network has been established to provide assistance and advice, and involves the management team, learning support specialists, class teachers and where appropriate, outside agencies. An open system of communication exists to consult with parents and feedback is given regularly through review meetings. The Education (Additional Support for Learning ) (Scotland) Act 2004 and 2009 have introduced provisions for the assessment of children with additional support needs. Some pupils with additional support needs may require a Co-ordinated Support Plan.

This is a summary of the information available for parents[i] and young people[ii]which explains East Dunbartonshire Council’s policies, procedures and practices relating to children and young people with additional support needs. This summary and the further information referred to, has been prepared to meet the Council’s duties arising from the Education (Additional Support for Learning) (Scotland) Act 2004 and the Education (Additional Support for Learning) (Scotland) Act 2009. This legislation as well as placing duties on education authorities provides rights for parents of children with additional support needs and young people with additional support needs.
Where text in this summary is highlighted in bold it means that there is more detailed information available (or in preparation) for parents and young people. This detailed information will be provided to you should your child or you as a young person, have additional support needs.

This document can be provided in large print, Braille or audio cassette and can be translated into different community languages.

For further information contact Corporate Communications at:
East Dunbartonshire Council, Tom Johnston House, Civic Way, Kirkintilloch, G66 2TJ.
Tel: 0141 578 8000

What are additional support needs?

All children require support to help them learn. However there are some children and young peoplewho need some extra support or support which is a bit different from the support provided for all children to make sure they benefit from school[iii] education.

That support may come from education services but can also be provided by a NHS Board, Social Work, Skills Development Scotland, or independent and voluntary organisations.
Children and young people in school who need extra support or a different sort of support from what is generally available have additional support needs.
These additional support needs can arise for lots of different reasons. The reasons why a child or young person may have additional support needs are too many to list here, however the following are examples:
That the child or young person:
  • finds it difficult to behave in school;
  • is hearing or visually impaired;
  • has a particular health need;
  • is living with parents who have a drug or alcohol dependency;
  • has English as an additional language;
Some additional support needs may only last for a short period of time other additional support needs will be life long.

What should I do if I think my child has additional support needs?
If you think your child may have additional support needs you should talk to your child’s school or pre school provision about this.

What will the school do?
All children and young people have their needs continuously assessed and reviewed. Your child’s school will be able to show you their assessment of your child’s needs and will send you copies of reports on how your child is progressing in school.

All schools and pre school establishments in East Dunbartonshire look at children’s needs as a process of staged intervention. This processallows teachers and others to
- identify those children who may need additional support;
- make plans to support those children identified;
- deliver the support the child requires; and
- regularly review the support provided.

What kind of additional support can be provided?
In addition to the additional support which schools themselves can provide through individual planning or making specific resources available, schools can also request support from East Dunbartonshire Council’s specialist educational support services. The Council can also provide individual children with special equipment and resources if necessary.

Some children may also benefit from attending the special schools and specialist resources which East Dunbartonshire manages.

What can I do to help my child?
Parents have a very important role to play in their child’s education and the views of parents and young people will always be taken account of in making decisions which affect the child or the young person

If your child requires additional support at school you can provide the school with important information about your child which will be helpful in making plans to support your child.
Parents and young people will always be invited to participate in reviews of progress.
What is a co-ordinated support plan and how do I know if my child needs one?
A small number of children and young people with additional support needs require a
co-ordinated support plan (CSP).
All of these children and young people will already have an individualised educational programme (IEP) provided for them in school which sets out targets in their learning and timescales for achieving those targets. Parents, professionals and the child or young person can all be involved in regularly reviewing the IEP.
The co-ordinated support plan is a statutory document which must be reviewed every year. The plan sets out in detail objectives for an individual which can only be achieved by services such as health or social work working together with education to support the child or young person.

What can I do if I disagree with a decision?
If you disagree with a decision the school has made you should immediately contact the head teacher and arrange to meet to discuss the decision.
If you do not feel that your concern has been dealt with satisfactorily or taken seriously you can make a complaint.
If you disagree with a decision taken by the education authority there are a number of ways you can try and deal with this.
The different ways you can deal with disagreements are called dispute resolution procedures.

When should I make use of dispute resolution procedures?
If you have a concern about your child’s learning you should always, in the first instance, contact the school to arrange a time to discuss that concern.
Every effort will be made by the school and the education authority to resolve your concern at that point.
If you are not happy with the way the matter has been dealt with and you continue to have concerns you may be able to make use of one (or more) of the following:

- mediation
- independent adjudication
- the Additional Support Needs Tribunals for Scotland
to assist in reaching a satisfactory conclusion.
[i]Parent in this document is regarded as including a guardian and any person who is liable to maintain or has parental responsibilities in relation to, or has care of, a child or young person.
[ii]Young people A young person in this document refers to those over school age (generally over 16) who are not yet 18 years of age.
[iii]School means a primary, secondary or special school, and includes nursery schools and independent and grant aided schools.